Thursday, July 26, 2012

Here we go

I absolutely can't wait any longer! (Well, maybe I can, because I don't really care if some chicks played football yesterday.) Tomorrow is the Opening Ceremony. Of course in the era of smartphones it's been rather impossible to keep any part of it secret - maybe with the single exception of who will light the Olympic flame. So we already know: a lot of sheep, James Bond, and such. Still, should be quite a spectacle, coming from the director of The Slumdog Millionaire!

More importantly: I'm going to third consecutive Olympic Games, yeah baby! Athens was something completely new, Beijing very exotic. Now it's really close-by, in a city I've already been to, where everybody speaks English* - but it doesn't mean the excitement is any weaker!

* - note to self: learn Portuguese in the next 4 years.

Looking back, it's been quite a journey. For example, accommodation. Eight years ago I slept on the floor in a primary school in the middle of nowhere, paying for it by cleaning the beach every morning. I would take a one hour bus ride to the closest metro station in Athens, and I still remember it cost €2 one-way, which back then meant I would pick very carefully the days I would actually go.


Four years ago, I sublet a really rudimentary place from some Austrian student I never even met - before, during, or after. It was on the 17th floor in one of those countless immense ugly buildings in a typical Chinese residential area. Now, I'll be renting what looks a lovely flat in a posh neighbourhood right next to the Hyde Park. Is 2012 going to make it less adventurous? Prolly. Less exciting? Not a chance in hell!

Let's get this party started!

No comments:

Post a Comment